University of Lodz, Lodz (Poland), September 20-21, 2019
The core issue of the sixth edition of the International Conference on Translatology and Translations is dedicated to the relationships between translation studies and other disciplines of humanities and science. The modern theories of translation and their developers are often restricted in their activities to an overview of external representation and facing pragmatic realities such as difficulties of the textual analysis, translation strategies relating to individual typologies of texts, assessing the equivalence level of translations as well as their degree of fidelity.
However, according to Rovena Troque if ‘it is true that the object of research of translatology was originally investigated with the use of linguistic tools, the modern translation studies are based on the principle that translation is a linguistic fact but not only.’ In addition, exceeding the linguistic threshold in translatology means an opening to interdisciplinarity understood as a search for analytical methods and principles. As an interdisciplinary science, translation studies use the research tools covering different fields of studies such as linguistics, philology, terminology, lexicology, literary studies, history, philosophy, semiotics, psychology, sociology and computer science.
This reasoning outlines a horizon of investigation in the main thematic areas of the conference to be developed as the following:
– boundaries between translation studies and other disciplines of humanities;
– influence of translation studies on other disciplines of humanities/science and vice versa;
– methodology and tools of other disciplines in translation studies;
– teaching translation and interpreting vs. teaching foreign languages;
– specialization of translators and interpreters in the sectors different than translation;
– assistance to the process of translation with the use of IT tools (machine translation, corpus-based translation, etc.)
Deadline for submission: July 15, 2019
Academic committee acceptance: July 22, 2019
Deadline for payment of the fee: August 12, 2019
Publication of the conference program: August 31, 2019
For more information, click here.